Thursday, November 8, 2007

The 'Croc' File

Mr. Suresh is back after 2 weeks of diarrhea. Oh the joy!!!! Anyway, it was probably the most interesting class I ever been in for the past 18 years of my life. Not because of the lesson but because of a particular incident. And trust me, it is seriously the lamest, stupidest, whatever-est thing ever!!!
It’s was on the 6th of November, a very very special day!! It was around 12.30pm, 30 minutes more to lunch. Shafqaat asked for permission to go to the bathroom. Within 30 seconds of him walking out the door and walking down the stairs, he rushed back, banged open the door and burst out yelling:
THERE IS A FREAKING BIG CROCODILE ON THE STEPS!!
(he tried to emphasized the BIG part with his hands)

For around 10 seconds we sat staring at him blankly at this seemingly hysterical person. I actually thought that he was a rather good actor and did it just because it was my birthday. Then it hit us that he was probably referring to a monitor lizard. And he was.

Here the fun part began. Mr Suresh got up and rushed out with Brandon, Jessica, and Shaf. Me, Leila and Tania remained in the room, still bedazzled with what had happened. Brandon came running up, grabbing his camera. This time, the rest of us followed him out. Here is my account of the situation.

Brandon stood at the doorway, busily trying to get the correct angle to snap a nice photo.
‘Brandon!! Get out of the way!!!’
The lizard was trying to climb up the wall because Brandon was blocking his way out.
Brandon ran towards the stairways.
‘Ok, come on, go out……’
Brandon still hadn’t got a photo yet. Shaf took his camera and started taking pictures. The rest of us were amused.
Back to the classroom. All of us had lost our interest in the essay topics and were busily discussing about the event. Shaf came into the room.

Looking at Mr Suresh,
‘Aku sayang kamu’
Silence. I think all of our jaws dropped.
‘Malu-malu’
Jessica… ‘Oh, I wrote that on the board!!!’

Later I asked Shaf why he thought it was a croc. Apparently, he being a Bangla had never seen a monitor lizard before thus thought it was a croc. Quote from Shaf ‘I am sooo scared’….pathetic….

So this is my English Lit class, on my birthday….No wonder Mr Suresh thinks our maturity level is of a 10 year old….

No comments: